Mumm Cordon Rouge 1985 Magnum 150cl in Wood - Collection du Chef de Caves

mumm_cordon-rouge_1985_magnum_wood.png
  • mumm_cordon-rouge_1985_magnum_wood.png

Only 1 left

£369.95

In stock

Order Before 3pm

For Next Working Day Delivery

Send this as a Gift

Country France
Champagne Type Vintage Brut and Rose
Region Champagne
Brand G.H.Mumm
Grape Variety Chardonnay / Pinot Noir
Size 150cl
ABV 12%
Closure Type Cork
Vintage 1985
Style Full bodied and Complex
Food Match An excellent wine of gastronomy, the Collection du Chef de caves magnum can accompany the most refined and avant-garde cuisines that reflects the spirits of the Maison Mumm. The degustation of the Millésimé is recommended with brittany Dublin Bay prawn in

The 1985 vintage has been heralded as one of the classic vintages of the 1980s in Champagne.

Despite a very cold winter, that saw temperatures plummet to -30°C, and a challenging spring, the summer of 1985 was warm and very sunny helping to produce a good crop of perfectly healthy grapes with an ideal balance between fruitiness and acidity, so good that the Cellar Master at the time compared it to the grand vintages of 1979 and 1975.

Mariotti comments: “We used 75% Pinot Noir in the assemblage in 1985, as the quality of the Pinots was outstanding. When you taste the wines now, the mature Pinot aromas and flavours are extraordinary. The nose and palate are rich and complex, yet still very fresh. Aromas of citrus fruit, dried orange peel, coffee, nuts and spices are undercut by a distinctive flinty minerality. On the palate the wine is still very lively and fresh, but with perfect balance and a beautiful long finish.”

At the time, 1985 became the 43rd vintage of the Champagne Maison Mumm in its one and a half centry’s history.

30 years later, this magnum of 1985 was taken out of the cellars and staged in this brand new Collection du Chef de Caves. The 1985 vintage has a luminous golden robe with lingering fine bubbles.  At the peak of its evolution, it reveals its complexity in aroma and its well-rounded, full-bodied character in the palate.  

The composition is 75% Pinot Noir, the remaining 25% comes from the Chardonnay.

 

One of a limited quantity of magnums of the celebrated Cordon Rouge Millésimes of 1985, 1990 and 1996 re-released from a brand new Collection du Chef de Caves.

The entire Collection includes magnums of the best vintages from the last 30 years that have been kept in perfect conditions in the cellars at Mumm in Reims, enabling the House to track its oenological history. The decision to re-release small quantities of three vintages at a time, when they are considered by Cellar Master Didier Mariotti to be showing one aspect of the vintage particularly well, will showcase the consistency and ageing potential of Mumm Vintage Champagnes.

Each magnum has been given a light dosage of just 4g/l to let the true characteristics of the wine shine through. The new Collection du Chef de Caves will enable the House to share some of its finest mature vintages with Champagne connoisseurs across the world. Each magnum within the initial release carries a bespoke label inspired by the historical look and feel of the famous Cordon Rouge Millésime bottle of the 1980s. With the back labels personally signed by Didier Mariotti and featuring the date of disgorgement, the magnums are be presented in an authentic antique-white wooden gift box. 

Country Of Origin: France

Add to Wishlist




You may also like