Mumm Cordon Rouge 1990 Magnum 150cl in Wood - Collection du Chef de Caves

  • mumm_cordon-rouge_1990_magnum_wood_1.png

Only 1 left


In stock

Order Before 3pm

For Next Working Day Delivery

Send this as a Gift

Country France
Champagne Type Vintage Brut and Rose
Region Champagne
Brand G.H.Mumm
Grape Variety Chardonnay / Pinot Noir
Size 150cl
ABV 12%
Closure Type Cork
Vintage 1990
Maturity Ready to drink now, but can be aged further under strict conditions
Style Full Bodied and Intense
Food Match An excellent wine of gastronomy , the Collection du Chef de caves magnum can accompany the most refined and avant-garde cuisines that reflects the spirits of the Maison Mumm. The degustation of the Millésimé is recommended with milk-fed lamb, paprika curr

1990 was considered to be a classic Champagne vintage – the final in a trio of ‘great vintages’ at the end of the 1980s. 

Yields were low in 1990 because of the late spring frosts, and following a very hot and dry July, the grapes reached very high levels of natural sugar, but with a fairly low acidity level. However, the Pinot Noirs again were outstanding, particularly from the key crus for Mumm in the Montagne de Reims: Verzenay, Verzy, Bouzy, Ambonnay and Mailly.

Mariotti comments: “Because of the quality of the Pinot Noirs in 1990 they dominated the cuvée accounting for 81% of the assemblage. This comes through strongly in the wine now, which is very intense and beautifully evolved. The nose is dominated by aromas of dried fruits and fruit compote, in particular dates, nougat, acacia honey, caramel and raisin. An attractive vinous quality on the palate leads to a long rounded finish.”

The vintage 1990 is, following its two precedent years, the 47th successful millésime of the Champagne Maison Mumm. The 1990 vintage has a luminous golden robe. The bubbles are fine and refreshing. 

Composition: Pinot Noir 81% of the cuvée in 1990. The other 19% comes from the Chardonnay.

One of a limited quantity of magnums of the celebrated Cordon Rouge Millésimes of 1985, 1990 and 1996 re-released from a brand new Collection du Chef de Caves.

The entire Collection includes magnums of the best vintages from the last 30 years that have been kept in perfect conditions in the cellars at Mumm in Reims, enabling the House to track its oenological history. The decision to re-release small quantities of three vintages at a time, when they are considered by Cellar Master Didier Mariotti to be showing one aspect of the vintage particularly well, will showcase the consistency and ageing potential of Mumm Vintage Champagnes.

Each magnum has been given a light dosage of just 4g/l to let the true characteristics of the wine shine through. The new Collection du Chef de Caves will enable the House to share some of its finest mature vintages with Champagne connoisseurs across the world. Each magnum within the initial release carries a bespoke label inspired by the historical look and feel of the famous Cordon Rouge Millésime bottle of the 1980s. With the back labels personally signed by Didier Mariotti and featuring the date of disgorgement, the magnums are be presented in an authentic antique-white wooden gift box. 

Country Of Origin: France

Add to Wishlist

You may also like